Oh the Joy.....

...of being a pet owner. It is 11:17 pm and I am sitting here at the computer wasting time until I can go pick up Bigs and Nattie from the Emergency Vet Hospital. Why you ask? Well, it is a funny story (or, at least I think we will laugh about this later when Dustin and I aren't exhausted from running around at 100 miles an hour). When did life get so crazy? For a brief moment tonight I wanted to go back in time when it was just myself and Dustin. No dogs, no kids. Life was good back then. It is good now, too. Just for different reasons. But without dogs or kids why would anyone choose to stay up all night? Which brings me to why I am staying up instead of getting a good night sleep. Bigs and Nattie tried to fight a porcupine at about 7:00 pm this evening. The porcupine won. Both dogs had easily 100 quills in and around their mouths. My wonderful neighbors, Tom & Cricket, and myself pulled 98% of the quills out with pliers but there were still a few difficult ones stuck in their gums that required more assistance. So off to the pet ER we go. I chose to take them since both boys were in bed and Dustin had work to do at the house. I made it all the way to 700 E. and 1300 S. before Dustin called me with a hysterical baby that wouldn't take a bottle or binky. So back home I went. Dustin then took the dogs to the ER and waited for about an hour to be seen by the Doctor who said this was a minor case and we did a "helluva" getting most of the quills out. They wouldn't have to be sedated but the procedure would take about an hour to get the rest of them out. I asked if they would just keep the dogs overnight but they said there was no reason to. I guess they have no compassion for sleep-deprived parents wanting to have a chance at a decent night sleep. So Dustin came home and I get to go back and pick the girls up. So I wait. The icing on the cake will be if Ian wakes up as soon as I leave. Oh the joy.....

4 comments:

Leenz said...

Oh man, that is terrible. You guys are such good parents (to the kids and the dogs). I also hope that you can laugh about this some day.

Living In Love said...

Aren't you glad you're a stay-at-home mom so you could take care of that? What if you had to get up for work at 5:30?! See, there's always a bright side! :)

falslev family said...

Holy Crap Whitney!! What a night you had. If it makes you feel any better I was driving around town early this morning from 4:15 am to 5:00 am trying to get max to go back to sleep. It didn't work. When we got home he decided he wanted to play with balloons until 6 am! What a little snot! I was fuming mad. Ahh, the joys of kids right?

Mamu Lou said...

Whit- I finally have found your blog! Thanks to Lena for having a link on hers. It sounds like you're having a ball staying at home with the kids (and dogs!!) Would love to catch up sometime- you can visit our blog and/or email me. I hope you still have my address. Love to you and yours, Laura