For those who asked...

I will now bore you with the medical reasoning of why I had to have surgery on my wrist. For those who are interested, read on.

The picture above shows the normal anatomy of the hand. In Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) the carpal ligament tightens from being overused. This causes pressure on the median nerve. The pressure on the nerve causes pain, numbness/tingling in the fingers and/or thumb. Some people are just predisposed to having CTS but it can also be caused by repetative motions of the hand. Also, pregnancy can make CTS worse. This is what happened in my case.

Surgery is done to cut the carpal ligament and release the pressure on the median nerve.


My surgery went well. Although the numbness that I had been experiencing in my thumb since November is still there. I hope that doesn't mean it will always be numb. Now I have this brace on my hand that I can't take off for a week. I am not in much pain but it is very annoying having only one good hand. Here are a list of things that are very difficult to do with one hand:
- doing up the button on my jeans
- typing
- changing a poopy diaper
- removing childproof lid on Lortab bottle
- putting pajamas on a 10 month old
- showering trying not to get one hand wet
- unscrewing anything
Luckily I have had great help the last couple of days. My mother-in-law, Janene, has been awesome. Without her help my children would not have been fed or bathed, the laundry and dishes would have piled up. And, to top it off, she had time to do the sewing I have been putting off for a year. She rocks! Thanks Neener's, I love you!
Also, thanks to my bro Adam for renting me a movie, fixing me dinner, and changing Ian's diaper. Love you!
Dustin has also been helpful. I am enjoying that he has to get up with Ian once a night.
I am going to end this post now. My pointer finger is tired of typing. I hope you all learned something new.

7 comments:

Brandon and Tenille said...

I hope you heal fast and get better soon. We are thinking about you, you are such a tropper. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

The Cliftens said...

I'm glad the surgery went well..hopefully the recovery will be quick! No go on boating next weekend... Jefe has to work. Sounds like so much fun, though. Thanks for the invite. I will call you!

Sid said...

I didn't know you had to have surgery. How crappy. I hope it heals all back to normal. hope you guys are doing well.

Living In Love said...

wow, what a hard time! I was thinking during that whole post "how did she type this?" I'm glad you've had help, wish we were there!

Nick, Steph and Chase Baby said...

We hope you get better soon!!!!

Leenz said...

Yikes! That sounds like a huge inconvenience for such an active/independent gal. Get well soon.

A and M said...

I didn't know you had CTS, my mom had surgery years ago too.
I'm glad you had some help and you're not in too much pain.